Thursday, September 1, 2011

About the skeleton...


I have been working with the image of the skeleton for over seven years.  The skeleton that we carry with us always (not simply at death), has been for centuries (and in multiple cultures) associated with Death as a Memento Mori.  The Skeleton also plays a part as structure. Especially when referring to architecture. Without this foundation we would collapse.  I use these multiple meanings in my art, first as a Vanitas and second as a reference to our foundations both religious and social. While death and its inevitability is an equalizing force, our beliefs about it affect our reality.

By using Velum (a transparent paper used in Architectural drawing) and placing two drawings back to back I hope to open up discussions on how our foundations affect who we become. Through the combination of being raised Catholic and the study of art history I understand the religious implication of illumination. The act of passing light through an image is a spiritual one. What becomes apparent in this action and what remains hidden is for me more of a psychological investigation into individuality.

For me personally, remembering my mortality has a very resent and personal meaning. I assisted my father only a couple of weeks ago. He died at home holding my mothers hand on August 13th. While socially and culturally this time of life is predominated by myth and personally at times felt darkly dystrophic, the actual experience was an awakening one. Understanding more about death in the end affects how we chose to live and die.



No comments: