Saturday, May 31, 2014

I love Marlene Dumas' Mind

An excerpt from her writing on kitsch art and god!
"And there for us (the children of Abraham, the
Father of the christians, muslims and the jews)
the image – problem started. Don’t blame the
modernists. They just re-discovered our old
mystic, abstract roots. They didn’t mean to make
it difficult, they just wanted to make it simple.
The catholic Jesus, tried to appease God by saying,
“Father forgive them for they know not what they’re doing,”
but then Jesus never painted a picture or wrote a book.
His fans did.
I was always concerned about what God would want me to do.
I always wondered if art was good enough for God. And if so,
What subject matter would be worth pursuing. I knew sexy was low,
erotic a bit higher and sorrow the noblest."

No comments: